Monday, February 4, 2008

I'm taking over the company!

There's going to be quite a change for our family in the next couple months. I've been asked to move from Reservations to the Service Department at work, to cover for someone who is having a baby. The plan is currently for me to work during her maternity leave, with it possibly turning into a more permanent position, if we decide we want it. In less than three years, I will have gone from seasonal customer service agent, to supervisor, went back to a regular customer service agent, and now will be in Service. I've worked in five different locations as well. It'll be different to be working with private owners and our mechanics and such, as opposed to passengers on our flights.

This means that I will be working almost full time, during the day. I was able to negotiate for Tuesday thru Friday, 7 or 8am until 4:30pm, so only four days a week. Obviously, this will necessitate day care for Jilly. We are so fortunate to have a friend nearby who is totally willing to help us out. We're still hammering out all the details, but we are totally secure with her taking care of our little one. My mom will also be watching Jilly one day, every other week, helping out tons there as well.

I won't be starting this full time until March. In fact, it will be right after we get back from San Antonio. During February, I will just be doing some training here and there. Then I will be there through April, possibly into May, depending on how long of a maternity leave the other lady takes.

This will definitely be quite a different life than we are currently used to. It means, actually having evenings and weekends together as a family! It also means that I won't get to spend my days at home with Jilly. To be honest, I don't relish the idea of being away from her. But in reality, it won't be too bad, because once you think of her naps and everything, the actual hours we're together will even out just fine. I am very excited to have time for all three of us to be together! I've worked Saturdays pretty much our entire marriage, excepting my maternity leave.

That's our big news. Things were finalized just today, but we've been talking about this for a few months. It's going to be a big change. There are definitely some great benefits and some big drawbacks, but it's the same with staying home during the day and working my current schedule. We'll just have to see what will work out best for our family.

1 comment:

Sariah said...

This sounds like such a good move for your family! As you know, we just made a change to Ryan's schedule which will give us the same thing - more family time. It's such a blessing! I'm happy for you guys! :)